Can I Be an Entrepreneur and Still Love My Job with Andy Hill
Prefer to listen to the audio? Click here.
Episode Brief Description
Do you have to quit your job to be an entrepreneur? Today we chat with guest Andy Hill about how and why he is building his side-business with no plans to quit his job.
Key Insights & Timestamps
- [00:48] – About our Guest
- [03:00] – Meet Andy
- [04:08] – “I just wanted to flex my creative muscle, my entrepreneur muscle and do something a little different, but I like my job and I like the stability of it.” -Andy
- [06:45] -Andy’s experience with personal finance & paying down debt
- “It doesn’t really matter how much you make, it matters what you do with it” -Andy
- [10:55] – “What do you want your life to look like, and then look at different options to make that happen” – Ariana
- Stay in your job, cut expenses & pay down debt
- Use a “side-hustle” to pay down debt
- [12:36] – Personal motivation in your life & business often leads to fulfillment, which can help you enjoy & achieve more in your day job
- [14:00] – Don’t get caught in the mental/emotional trap of the entrepreneur trend of “I hate my job”.
- [17:09] – Side Hustle of Hobby?
- [22:19] – “The habits people have in their personal life, carry over into their business.” -Tom
- [25:36] – “A tool is not a magic button, you have to have your processes in place first” – Ariana
- [28:10] – How do you manage it all? The job, the business, the family? “Systems & processes help me get through it. It’s also setting boundaries of when I have family time and when I have business time” – Andy
- [29:04] Andy’s strategy for being a more present husband & father
- [32:30] Modeling behaviors – Marriage, kids & finances
- [33:08] “I get a new day everyday to try to be the best husband I can be” – Andy
- [36:26] “Be wary of the folks out there, the gurus, that say everything is roses and sunshine, because you know that’s not true” – Andy
- [37:13] Find Andy
Andy Hill is the host of the Marriage, Kids and Money podcast focused on helping families build legacy wealth. The podcast was nominated as “Best New Personal Finance Podcast” by Plutus in 2017. Outside of writing for his own weekly blog of the same name, his personal finance focused articles have been featured in STAND Magazine, Business Insider, AOL Finance, NerdWallet and Rockstar Finance. When he’s not “talking money”, Andy enjoys wrestling with his two kids and singing 80’s karaoke with his wife