Money & Your Family (Personal Finance)
Prefer just the Audio? Click here.
Episode Brief Description
How does your family handle money? It’s one of the biggest reasons for disputes in relationships. In this episode we chat about personal finances, and how to talk to your spouse & kids about money.
Key Insights & Timestamps
- [00:51] – Welcome
- [06:08] – Your Money Plan
- We were all raised with money knowledge, some good, some bad
- Some money habits we born out of insecurities
- [18:08] – “Money is such a taboo subject these days.” – Ariana
- [21:48] – Setting money dates
- Make an actual “date night” out of it
- [23:01] – Discovering your money relationship and how to make it work with your spouse
- [25:43] – Teaching your kids about money and good money habits
- Starting young with allowance and savings
- Allow kids to save and spend and use each as a teaching moment
- [34:08] – Your money habits
- Take a look at your spending – travel, eating out, etc.
- [38:18] – Shifting your realtionship with money
- [40:09] – “You have to have a handle on your relationship with money.” – Ariana
- [40:30] – Making more money
- Most people shift jobs every 1-3 years
- Side hussles
- [43:52] – Homework
- [45:29] – Toms Bookshelf
Get a money date on the calendar!
Be conscious of your money habits and ask yourself why you spend what you do.
- Discover ways to approach the topic of money with your family
- Set clear expectations for money habits, and learn how to talk to your kids about money from a young age
- Look for ways to create more money