The Hiccups with Hiring – How to Build Your Team
Prefer just the Audio? Click here.
Episode Brief Description
Hiring the right people is critical to growing your team and scaling your business, but most people struggle with it. We discuss how to hire and build a great team
Key Insights & Timestamps
- [00:28] – Welcome
- [04:19] – Common issues
- Hiring the wrong people, in general
- Lack of management experience
- [07:05] – Micromanaging or not managing enough
- [10:00] – It is critical to your success to be sure you’ve taken the time to learn how to manage a team
- Seek out a company that you admire and study how they run their hiring process
- [11:31] – Leader vs Manager
- Leadership should be ” How can I help?”
- [12:30] – Hiring is the same in the online space as it is in offline space – which tends to be a common misconception
- [14:02] – Hiring before your budget allows
- It is typically always better to hire after you need to, rather than before. Yes, this may mean extra work for you, but only for a little while
- [16:15] – How to approach building your team
- Does your hire believe in your mission? In your values?
- Do their working styles compliment yours? Personality assessments are a great way to discover this
- [26:56] – Onboarding
- Communication and expectations are key!
- [31:01] – Open communication and staying accountable
- [35:25] – Tom’s Top 2 Hiring Questions
- [37:31] – Have fun with your team!
- [39:49] – Action Items
- [41:33] – Tom’s Bookshelf
- Post in the comments – What is something you’re looking to hire?
- What is your experieicne with hiring?