Working With Your Spouse (Without Killing Each Other!)
Prefer just the Audio? Click here.
Episode Brief DescriptionWorking with your spouse can be AMAZING, but it can also add additional challenges and stress to your relationship. In this episode, we are discussing how to work with your spouse WITHOUT killing each other
Key Insights & Timestamps
- [00:32] – Welcome
- [08:47] – Get aligned and make sure you are on the same page
- [12:11] – What is your life vision? How does your business tie in to support that vision?
- [14:23] – What are your business goals?
- Re-align goals and plans along with other big life changes – for example, having kids
- [16:26] – Talk about your roles, in your business life and your personal life
- [20:26] – Play to your strengths
- [22:28] – Don’t hesitate to speak up if something isn’t working
- Consider naming someone as the final decision maker for issues that struggle for resolution
- [25:42] – Communicate, communicate, COMMUNICATE
- Take personality assessments, and be sure to share results with your spouse
- Acknowledge that your life and plans may evolve as your business grows
- [31:29] – Plan out your collaborative time, when and how
- Make breakfast dates, schedule time at night or on the weekend to talk about goals and expectations
- [37:24] – Find individual support
- Set time to be apart, including working apart occasionally
- Make alone time – allow yourself to have a night out with friends
- Get outside help. Sometimes a completely unbiased 3rd party is necessary to learn and grow
- Consider couples counseling – being proactive and sitting down to talk before any issues arise can be one the greatest tools when working with a spouse
- [50:02] – Homework
- [53:28] – Toms Bookshelf
- Post how you divide roles in the comments section
- Reset expectations with your spouse, in life and business. This may be an awkward conversation, but just blame it on us!
- Discover our top 4 ways to keep a happy, healthy work/life relationship with your spouse
- Consider ways to divide and conquer all aspects of life with your partner by setting clear and concise goals and expectations
- Keep the lines of communication open